Monday 6 August 2018

Story of my Life (Cook Island language week)

“Come on Sheena come and join the Cook Island group with us” my friend
Mereana begged. My friends were trying to convince me to join the Cook
Island group to do a dance on Friday for Cook Island language week but I was
been very stubborn because I was scared I couldn’t shake my hips the right way.


Once the lunch time bell rang me and my friends all hurried to the creative
space where the Cook Island group were practising, and somehow my friends
managed to persuade me to join the Cook Island group. The teacher that would
be helping us prepare for the dance on Friday was no other then Mrs Langitupu.
The first dance that we were going to do was the Senior Girls dance followed
with the Group dance and to close off our item we would go out and pick a
student or teacher to dance freestyle with.


On Thursday the Cook Island group had to do a run-through on the stage but
unfortunately I had to go to a netball tournament so I couldn’t make it. After
we came back from the Netball tournament my friends informed me that all
we needed to do was bring a white t-shirt and a lavalava.

Friday finally arrived and I was excited but nervous at the same time. Once I
arrived at school I rushed to the creative space forgetting all about Prefects, all
I wanted was to get to the creative space to get ready. When I got there I quickly
got changed with my friends and hurried to the hall to do a quick run-through
before the real performance. I felt really weird because all the prefects were
watching which made me very uncomfortable, but I managed to push through
and just pretend there not there and continued dancing.


Once we finished performing our item I was feeling great inside because
I got to try a new cultural and it helped me build up my confidence.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sheena,

    I really like the way you structured this story and the way you explained what you learnt from the experience at the end. I think you did really well on stage and I am surprised to learnt that it was your first time trying Cook Island dancing - your audience would never have known! Next week we will work on editing your writing to check that you haven't made any mistakes and that you have used the best vocabulary for the story.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.